RamsgateHistory.com
September 23, 2017, 09:48:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Ramsgate Sea Cadets  (Read 35065 times)
Phil
Administrator

« on: May 14, 2010, 07:24:17 AM »

Ramsgate Sea Cadets were first officially accepted by the Navy in October 1946. Eighteen months later, in a ceremony held above their headquarters overlooking Ramsgate Harbour, Lady Carson officially launched the unit as T.S. Fervent, perpetuating the town’s link with H.M.S. Fervent. H.M.S. Fervent was the name given to the Ramsgate based shore command during World War II.

In the early 1970’s T.S. Fervent was again renamed, this time as T.S. Bulldog. The photo below was taken on the day T.S. Fervent became T.S. Bulldog. The association with Fervent and Bulldog lives on through the T.S. Bulldog / Fervent Association for past members of both training ships.

Do you have any memories of the Sea Cadets you can share?

cloud
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:42:41 PM »

My main of memory of TS Fervent was from the late 50's. After a session of how to tie knots, the lights were turned out and then had to repeat the exercise in the dark. Then, when all equipment had been cleared away the instructor announced there would be a church parade on Sunday. We were then asked if we all knew the words to Eternal Father and if not to bloody well learn them before Sunday, because if tying knots in the dark didn't save you, the next option was singing a hymn.
Also pulling the whaler around the inner harbour was harder than it looked, and probably helped in the decision to jump ship to the ATC who were offering a summer camp at RAF Ballykelly for 15 shillings.
ozzie

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:26:18 AM »

I joined the Sea Cadets in 1956 at ten years of age, and 'served' on the TS Fervent. Like Cloud, I remember the hours and hours of tying knots, and in the dark, and still use some to this day I was fascinated by semaphore and used to practice for hours at home to the annoyance of my parents waving a couple of sticks around. Eventually I mastered the phrase ' England expects that this day every man will do his duty ', never thinking that I would ever need to use it but it would come in handy one day. There was always an aroma of pipe tobacco in the TS Fervent as the Captain had one on the go all evening. I was on the Port Watch and was envious of the chaps on the Starboard Watch as they seemed to have a cushy time of it spending all evening cleaning their rifles and blanco-ing their belts. After about a year of drilling and Church Services and the Ramsgate Carnival, the end came for me when we set sail around the Harbour and I turned green and threw up over the side. The Captain gave me a dressing down and advised me that the Navy was not the place for me. I totally agreed with him and promptly handed in my lanyard.
The Photo was taken by the shadowy figure in the foreground who was my mother. She never could manage a camera. To technical !!   

* wayne 001.jpg (44.86 KB, 456x471 - viewed 682 times.)
stevewilly

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:02:49 PM »

In the 'Information' section under the heading of 'Sea Cadets' i was also a cadet for over 3 years and reached the dizzy heights of Leading Seaman. What a good time we had. Rifle shooting at St. Laurence college, competing in the rowing comps on the River Medway, athletics at Deal Royal Marines depot and travelling on the cross channel ferries to Calais. I was even allowed at the helm for a short period 'stearing' the boat across the Dover Straits. Wouldn't be allowed now, of course, but what a great time. Band practice on Friday evening culminating in leading the carnival through the town. Those were the days!
Steve.
George Morgan

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 02:05:47 AM »

Joined the Cadets in 1957 at age 12 and truly experienced the camaraderie of great friends and shipmates.  Like Steve, I well remember the Saturday day trips aboard the Dover Ferries and like Steve, experienced the thrill of being permitted to steer once we were clear of the 3 mile limit...  Our Band in those days was the largest of the Cadet Forces Bands in Thanet and we participated in all the area Carnivals, Mayor's, and Remembrance Sunday parades.  Whaler pulling within the inner basin of Ramsgate Harbour, led us finally to the Kent District Championships at RNB HMS Pembroke at Chatham, we were well prepared by a crew of Officers and CPO's who truly led us forward...  In the words of the Sea Cadet Motto, we were "Ready, Aye Ready".  

During the School summer Holidays we could attend courses at any number of Royal Navy establishments, Naval Electrician at HMS Commodore, Gunnery at Whale Island, both in Portsmouth, Seamanship at HMS Ganges the naval training establishment at Shotley in Essex, and even Gliding at Arbroth in Scotland.  Eight Shillings (8/-) a week (40p in today’s money), provided you with a Railway Warrant, board and lodging, and the experience of a lifetime.  Roger Grant, Michael Lines, and I went to HMS Ganges for a week in 1958.  One week we found was simply not enough so Roger and I, requested a second week, got our parents’ permission,  and off we went again!  We had an experience never to be forgotten!

Starting in the Band as a Cymbal Basher, I gradually moved up through the percussion section and when Pat Blake the Bandmaster retired, I moved into that position but I could not have achieved all we did without my stalwart companions, POs' Paul Umbers and Julian Willis.  I have never lost my pride in the Cadets we had under our command for each and every one of them participated with a pride in all they undertook!  If only we could bring about a reunion today!!!    

TS Fervent, subsequently TS Bulldog, meant something to us all.

* George HMS Ganges 1958.jpg (172.49 KB, 357x504 - viewed 846 times.)
George Morgan

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:27:24 AM »

More Pictures from "Our Time".  Pat Blake, Bill & Ted Edwards, Roger Grant, Stupples, Peobles, Watson, Terry, Liversidge, so many others...  Where are you now?

* 1967 Remembrance Day Minster.jpg (265.26 KB, 690x528 - viewed 714 times.)

* St George's Day, Granville Theatre 1967.jpg (140.51 KB, 504x360 - viewed 561 times.)

* HMS Ganges Mast Then & Now.jpg (83.4 KB, 337x300 - viewed 654 times.)
stevewilly

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 07:14:09 PM »

Yes, great days indeed. Trips on the Royal Navy fishing protection vessels that regularly docked in the harbour, practicing our semaphore skills across the inner basin ( and the resultant confused messages ) and trips to the North Goodwin lightship. On one occasion fog came down on a return journey and we nearly lost our way back to the harbour. Just imagine our embarrassment had the lifeboat been launched to find us. Drill with .303 rifles adjacent to the Seamen's Church at the bottom of Jacobs Ladder. I think the rifles were nearly as big (and heavy) as some of the cadets!
Well, when reaching 15 years of age I attempted to join the Royal Navy by taking exams and a medical at Chatham. Unfortunately, I failed the eyesight test. Oh well, the rest, as they say, is history.
Good memories.
Steve.
guns@scc

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »

Hi guys very interesting stuff. Let me introduce myself i currently the first lt of RBSCC joined scc in 89 as a cadet worked my way up and currently a CPO. Im looking in to getting a full and comprehensive history put together of the unit and personnal. especally commanding officers and chairman and events. for example service date etc. i have a few names to bounce arround lt bill cherry lt micheal todd lt cdr townsend stan goodborn rev blanchett dennis poulter and stan white the first cadet to join after the war years. In advance many thanks 
Ray Stupples

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 03:14:19 PM »

Where are you now?
Hi George, I'm still around, sadly not all are. Thanks for the pictures, didn't have the one from the Granville, I am behind Dick Joys big head. Some of the best times in my life, in the cadets.
George Morgan

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 12:23:04 AM »

Ray, how the hell are you?  Coming home for a visit in September, "Hey, you can buy me a tot!"   LOL  geolin123@gmail.com lets catch up.
Good pic of you with the Bulldog Ring, still can't get that name in my brain, will always be TS Fervent to me.  Also sad to see the unit without a band, great days!  What do you remember of the parade in Dover with Lord Mountbatten?  Quite an event!
George
mazzie74

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 06:46:43 AM »

Hi,

This is a photo I have of the Ramsgate Sea Cadets.

My Gt-Gt Grandfather used to run it, or was part of the team that run it.

His name was John Alfred Stupples (1872-1936).

He is in the photo, 2nd row 6th from the right (with the moustache).

His son, also called John Alfred Stupples (1910-2000) is in the front row, 5th from the right.

I'm guessing this photo was taken about Christmas 1924.

Thanks,

Darin (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)

John Preston

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »

More Pictures from "Our Time".  Pat Blake, Bill & Ted Edwards, Roger Grant, Stupples, Peobles, Watson, Terry, Liversidge, so many others...  Where are you now?

Well I'm just in front of Paul Liversage in the first pic. and the little bugler on the second (I'm quite considerably bigger now !!). Chris Twyman back right 1st pic. (bugler)

I also remember the Mountbatten parade(s). I was duty bugler.

Bloody hell....this is a blast from the past. Georgie Morgan and Ray Stupples. How the hell are you ?
John Preston

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 02:26:58 PM »

Kev Brill is there too (Tennor drummer on the 2nd pic). RIP Kev.
Ray, how are you mate? Long time. Saw Keith Pierce a few years ago (he must be somewhere on the photo's too?). He was living in Ramsgate, but about to move to Spain with Christine. Where is Val now? Remember her? (The red head that did the canteen BTW).
George Morgan

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »

Well I'm just in front of Paul Liversage in the first pic. and the little bugler on the second (I'm quite considerably bigger now !!). Chris Twyman back right 1st pic. (bugler)

I also remember the Mountbatten parade(s). I was duty bugler.

Bloody hell....this is a blast from the past. Georgie Morgan and Ray Stupples. How the hell are you ?

LOL   Glad to hear you rose to greater heights John; you were always big in the opinion of the Instructors!  Doing great, geolin123@gmail.com, write and I'll bring you up to date.  Are you still in Thanet and what are you doing these days?
George
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: