RamsgateHistory.com
November 18, 2017, 09:44:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register Chat  
Pages: « 1 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghost Signs  (Read 30756 times)
ramsgate60
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »

Not a Pub (yhis time) but some advertising of an old cafe, on the side of a building next to the old labour hall, across t says dinners tea's etc then going downwards something else, only a partial view,...
Phil
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 08:59:27 PM »

Does anyone remember the wording on these signs? They're both on the same building on the corner of Belle Vue Road and Belle Vue Avenue. The building is in need of repair and I doubt very much if the signs will still be there when the scaffolding comes down. A 1900 directory lists the property as No.34, Edwin David Knight, grocer (Stanley House).

fronting Belle Vue Road

fronting Belle Vue Avenue
Paul Narramore

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 09:49:59 PM »

Phil

The last shop at the junction with Bellevue Avenue would have bee No.36 and not No.34. This used to be the off licence just around the corner from my house as a boy.

Kelly's 1955 - Mrs C Cunliffe (grocer)

Kelly's 1969 - TJ Costen (wine & spirit merchant)

No.34 was Elderfield's (newsagents) where I did an evening paper round (1955) and D Rayner (newsagent) in 1969.

I can't help with the sign writing. Even my memory isn't that good.
Phil
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 10:14:38 PM »

That's interesting Paul. In the 1900 directory there's no number 36. Looks like the numbers changed for some reason. My guess would be the renumbering of 32a ...

Phil
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 08:48:40 AM »

St Lawrence Fire Station, High Street, St Lawrence ...

Monkton Malc
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 11:46:16 PM »

As I was passing this with my mother a couple of days ago, I mentioned the sign above as she lived in Manston Road and knows the area.
She said that the building next to it on the right was the ARP post and that my uncle George was an ARP warden.

Another thing she said about that area was that my grandfather worked in the bakery that was where Perrys used to be, now new flats have been built there.
Phil
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 08:40:30 PM »

I mentioned this to my uncle who also lived in the area and he can now also remember the ARP Post. Also, my parents were in the Fire Service during the war, and my mother served for a short time at the old Vicarage at St Lawrence. There were fire posts at various locations around the town, I must get some more details from her.

I also worked in the Betabake bakery which was opposite the St Lawrence Tavern (previously the White Horse). I had a bread round in Whitstable which was based at Ramsgate. Oh yes, I was a "Benny Betaboy", and I remember frequently seeing the truck with tomorrow's "fresh" bread on board travelling down the Thanet Way to the depot in Ramsgate while I was delivering today's "fresh" bread in Whitstable!
Deckdon

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 12:35:01 PM »

Gosh, I remember them when they were open. Michael Coveney, the son, was the choir master when I was a chorister at Holy Trinity Church in the 50s and 60s.
Michael is founder member and vice president of the Goon Show Preservation Society (President Prince Charles)
Thanatos

Hands that help are holier than lips that pray

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 02:19:31 PM »

A couple more for you Phil, just below Church street, in the high street, we have above a second hand shop, (nanny's Aticc),, some writings on the wall ,in it hey day a grocery shop, and, in Queens street above first choice travel, next to homebase, look up, your see the words Tea dealer,.. more to come when i can think of them
There's one similar (I think) in Harbour Street.  According to Pigot's Directory of Kent 1824, A Stephen White was a tea dealer at 32 Harbour Street.

Thanatos.
Pages: « 1 2
  Print  

Jump to: