RamsgateHistory.com
September 23, 2017, 09:37:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Committal at sea. (Cremated Remains)  (Read 247 times)
Derek Lawbuary

« on: August 26, 2017, 02:45:19 AM »

On Thursday, 24th August, 2017 at about 1100 Our son Darren, daughter Jo and cousin Frank (son of the ladies brother) Boarded Bonaventure 11, Skipper Allan Booth at The Royal Harbour, Ramsgate. With them they had the cremated remains of my Mother Daisy and her sister Marjorie. The weather was good. Allan drove the boat to a point near the Goodwin Sands ( where 27 years earlier a quarterdeck service was held aboard HMS Ark Royal. Darren was serving aboard her then. My father Ernie had recently died and his cremated remains were committed to the deep). Therefore my mother 'joined' her husband and both sisters 'joined' their father, Christian Thompson who was killed aboard the Ramsgate Fishing Vessel 'Campanula' along with all of her crew after trawling up a mine in 1920 in the same body of water.

Thank-you Allan. All aboard were impressed with your knowledge and expertise. A long chapter in our family history is now closed.
Monkton Malc
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 09:11:12 PM »

Thank you for sharing that with us.
I don't think people realise that quite a lot of ashes are scattered at sea. My friends ashes were scattered at one of his favourite fishing marks just off Westgate in 2012.
Derek Lawbuary

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 03:08:01 AM »

Hello Monkton Malc,

When I cross the bar I am being fully buried at sea here in Malta. At present there is no crematoria. I have attended one such burial and it was tastefully carried out. An English Padre conducted. There is a designated burial site here a couple of miles off.
Thanatos

Hands that help are holier than lips that pray

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 11:20:30 AM »

Personally, I prefer to go up in smoke at Manikarnika Ghat, where they burn the bodies in Varanasi, India.  It is said that if your ashes end up in the Ganges, you don't have to reincarnate back to this dump.

Thanatos.
Derek Lawbuary

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 05:48:21 PM »

Smiley Hello Thanatos,

The Ganges hey..? must be the most polluted river in the world...like the Mediterranean  ' The world's largest stagnant pond '..!  Smiley
Thanatos

Hands that help are holier than lips that pray

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »

Smiley Hello Thanatos,

The Ganges hey..? must be the most polluted river in the world...like the Mediterranean  ' The world's largest stagnant pond '..!  Smiley

Malta is smack in the middle of the stagnant pond.  But who cares if you're gone already.

Thanatos.
Derek Lawbuary

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 12:58:15 AM »

Smiley No argument there Thanatos..!  Smiley
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: