RamsgateHistory.com
November 24, 2017, 05:46:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: The Americans at Manston.  (Read 2848 times)
stevewilly

« on: November 10, 2013, 08:05:26 PM »

Does anyone remember the Americans who were based at Manston? I recall the MP's patrolled in pairs, one black and one white. If trouble occurred in the town amongst the military then the black military police were only allowed to apprehend the black soldiers and likewise with the white police. My mother was very apt at knitting jumpers and she was inundated with requests to provide 'sweaters' to some of the American servicemen based at the aerodrome. I recall the first time I saw a black serviceman. Sitting next to him I gently touched his hand and was surprised when his skin still remained black! Oh, the age of innocence. I often wonder whether any of those servicemen are still living in America and remember their days at Manston.
COLIN

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:25:06 AM »

I remember that we had two American children in our class at Newington Juniors School in the 1950's. They were at the Manston Homes I think. I do remember that they wore a Manston Homes 'uniform'.
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: