RamsgateHistory.com
October 20, 2014, 10:46:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: THE LAST CUSTOMER/ UNSOLVED MURDER CHURCH ROAD RAMSGATE (1930)  (Read 967 times)
LANGLEY

« on: August 15, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »

The Last Customer

Margery Wren, a maiden lady of eighty-two, kept a small general shop in Church Road, Ramsgate, and lived there by herself. On a Saturday evening in September 1930 she was found lying grieviously injured on the floor of the shop. "I have just had a tumble, that's all," she gasped. This was plainly untrue - something more sinister and terrible than an accident had happened. Miss Wren had, in fact, been savagely beaten about the head with a pair of fire tongs; there had also been an attempt to strangle her. Whatever the motive it was certainly not robbery; all Miss Wren's small possessions were intact. The old lady was removed to hospital. As her life ebbed away there were times when she was not only conscious but was able to stammer out a few disconnected sentences. She said enough to convince the police that she knew the man who had atacked her, and could have given them the name had she wished. She died the next day without uttering it. In her last moments Miss Wren murmered, " You say I am dying - well that means I am going home." After a long pause she added, "Let him live in his sins." At the inquest a verdict of "Wilful murder by a person or persons unknown" was returned. Miss Wren had carried with her to her grave the secret of the murder. There it has remained ever since

Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: