RamsgateHistory.com
September 23, 2017, 09:40:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Pictures and Memories  (Read 13264 times)
Phil
Administrator

« on: March 19, 2012, 09:19:26 AM »

As part of their project to reopen Ramsgate's former Air Raid Shelter System and Railway Tunnel, the Ramsgate Tunnels Heritage Group are looking for details of the former "World Scenic Railway" or "Tunnel Railway" as it became known.

Many people remember the ride from Ramsgate Seafront to Hereson Road on a narrow gauge electric railway but the group is looking for details of the illuminated tableau that enabled people to take a trip around the world in five minutes! Can you help with memories or even photos?

My main personal memory is the time I was given green candyfloss before getting on the train at Merrie England. I sat on the train facing forward with the enevitable consequence that my clothes were covered in sticky green candyfloss when I reached Hereson Road. Unfortunately the candyfloss was of more interest than the tableau which I can't recall in any detail.

www.ramsgatetunnels.org
Monkton Malc
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:09:31 PM »

I remember getting the train from Minster to Dumpton Park with my parents, then walking down Hereson Road to the station. As far as my memory of what the illuminations were... I just don't remember it that much.
I know we spent the day on the beach and had the return journey but I must have been tired as that bit I don't remember at all.
It was the first train journey that I remember because my dad knew the engine driver and spoke to him at Minster before we got on (yes it was back in the days of steam.. Just).

I asked my mum if she spent any time in the air raid shelters/tunnels during the war and she said that she never went down them due to being evacuated from the 2nd of June 1940 until more or less the end of the war.
wevsky

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:22:35 PM »

How the spur looks today

* DSC_0055.jpg (134.34 KB, 435x627 - viewed 437 times.)
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: