RamsgateHistory.com
September 23, 2017, 09:38:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: The Restaurant Inspector  (Read 14005 times)
Paul Narramore

« on: June 06, 2011, 04:09:37 PM »

Tonight on Channel 5, 10pm, The Restaurant Inspector (Fernando Peire from the Ivy) visits the Alexandra Italian Restaurant (70 Harbour Parade, Ramsgate) to give 'the ailing restaurant a makeover'.
ramsgate60
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »

dont get c5, how did it go, went in there years ago,
Paul Narramore

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 06:40:39 PM »

I'm not sure I like these reality programmes such as the Hotel Inspector, How Clean is your House, and so on, as they often feature people who are clearly barking mad or completely unsuited to that line of work. It seems the Alexandra Italian Restaurant has not made a profit for years, caused in part by a stupidly large menu, long waiting times for customers, and the stroppy deligerance of the lady owner. Under the guidance of the expert from the Ivy she was dragged screaming into the 21st century, the place was drastically decluttered, redecorated and a shorter menu put in place. It seemed to have the desired effect on their grand re-opening night but I can't hep wondering if they managed to maintain that standard.

They visited that well known fish restaurant in King Street (Eddie Gilberts?) which seemed never short of customers. I keep promising myself I will visit this place as well as Age & Son too.
Visitor
Unregistered

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:29:55 AM »

Although contributing a few posts, I remain a `visitor` from Sittingbourne as I haven`t much to offer to the Forum regarding Ramsgate. My enduring memories of Ramsgate are of holidays in the early 50s and daily visits to a restaurant which definitely would not have been visited by the `Restaurant Inspector`. I remember that it was approximately in a sidestreet opposite the harbour - Fennell`s or `Fennels` and appeared to have a very good reputation and was recommended to my parents at the B&B near the Railway Station. I`ve often wondered if it`s still there as I haven`t been to Ramsgate for some time.

bona

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 06:08:23 AM »

I cant remember Fennel's but I do remember the queues waiting for a table in the most popular eating places in Ramsgate about that time.
The Perseverance in York Street.
The Eagle Cafe at the end of the East Pier.
Harrisons on the seafront, opposite the Pavillion.
Ann's Pantry up Albion Hill.
Visitor
Unregistered

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:39:39 PM »

Bona, I think Fennell`s was in York Street  -  late 40s or early 50s. A very approximate location (it`s a very long time ago): down the hill with the red brick arches on the left, left turn somewhere near the bottom of the hill. The very first `burger` I had was in Ramsgate, which was somewhere near Rowlands, the Rock Shop. I can still smell the aroma of burgers, onions and Ramsgate rock.
bona

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 06:59:28 AM »

In the 1963 Kelly's Directory there are listed 9 'eating places' in York Street.
Fennels must have been one of those pre 1963.
I noted Herbert Fosters shop that stood where Wilkinsons is now.
Chandlers and sail makers but sold fishing tackle to us lads, all those years ago.
Paul Narramore

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 03:37:51 PM »

My 1955 copy of Kellys lists Fennell's York Restaurant (proprietor WH Damiral) at numbers 33, 35 and 37 York Street.
bona

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »

bona

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 08:31:55 PM »

Another view of York Street, the Fountain Inn on the left going
up towards King Street.
Thanatos

Hands that help are holier than lips that pray

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 01:34:50 PM »

Another view of York Street, the Fountain Inn on the left going
up towards King Street.

With respect, don't you mean Queen Street?

Thanatos.
bona

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 10:11:48 PM »

Of course, sorry.
bona

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 05:24:19 PM »

Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: