RamsgateHistory.com
September 23, 2017, 09:44:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: The West Cliff Concert Hall  (Read 17267 times)
ABrown

« on: March 30, 2011, 01:52:22 PM »

Hello,

I'm doing some research on the history of some of Ramsgate's buildings for a book. But am struggling to find any specific information or dates about the West Cliff concert Hall beyond it being opened in 1914 and the Rolling Stones playing there once.

If anyone could tell me anything more about it I'd be very grateful. 

On the subject of research, I'm also looking at The Clock house and would appreciate any information anyone had on this too.

Thank you
Paul Narramore

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 03:35:11 PM »

Have you tried the Search button on here as there have been some posts on the West Cliff Hall? I think it was in early 1963 that I heard of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones performing there but the tickets were too expensive for my meagre pocket money. Within weeks 'Love me Do' (or was it 'Twist & Shout') was in the charts and both bands became overnight successes soon after.

I mentioned this elsewhere and was told that both appeared at Dreamland rather than the West Cliff Hall but I'm pretty sure of my facts.
Phil
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 04:26:58 PM »

I remember The Rolling Stones there for sure, but out of my price range also.
chrisiboy60

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:34:12 AM »

the stones appeared at the West Cliff Hall in 1963 I think it was an appearance for Ramsgate Football Club something to do with there social club, the Beatles never appeared there only the Winter Gardens.
Phil
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 06:15:31 AM »

I think it was an appearance for Ramsgate Football Club
Thanks chrisiboy60, that fits in well with my memories as I'm sure Jimmy Bristow (former manager of the football club) had something to do with it. I didn't mention it before as I thought I might be loosing the plot, mixing the football club with The Rolling Stones!
kennard

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 11:19:55 AM »

My memories of of the West Cliff Hall were dancing to the music of Freddy Hargraves' band twice a week at a bob a time during the the early forties.  I think that his main band was touring and based in Maidstone during those years.  The band at Ramsgate just consisisted of four elderly gentlemen saxaphone players plus a pianist.  Of course we had the usual special 'Balls' at 2/6 a time when we were treated to the full band or a guest orchestra.  I remember Jimmy Miller's Air Force Band and a few other well known bands playing there during these times.
Big Bopper

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 04:34:58 PM »

Freddy Hargreaves and his band were the resident band at the westcliff bandstand,
now the westcliff boating pool for a few summers.His wife was the singer I believe.
Big Bopper

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 05:40:28 PM »

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UauoQ6hHTz8/SFoUOnmDM7I/AAAAAAAAAEA/Hfgnv4_SEWA/s400/FreddyRamsgate.jpg
Type in this link for The Freddy Hargraves Band
ABrown

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 09:39:43 AM »

Thanks for all the help. I only remember it as being the motor museum, so it's good to hear Ramsgate once knew how to party (even if it was just four old men and a saxophone).

I've used the search button thanks. But as with a lot of the other buildings I'm researching it seems that a lot of Thanet's history is missing or locked up in the now closed museums.
Phil
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 12:04:17 PM »

You may have already seen these three pictures of the West Cliff Concert Hall in the online album. They're best described as before, during and after construction. The hall was opened within a day or two of the declaration of war in 1914.

AnDy

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 10:03:58 PM »

I hear it has concrete cancer, so wont be open anytime soon, which is a great shame.
wevsky

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 03:39:17 PM »

I htought i had posted these on here allready ,if there is another thread thats similar on here they may be there..but this is the state of play with the building now

and the old Royal paragon baths situated in the building which i believe was built quite a few years before the hall was dug out!

Hargreaves

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 01:46:28 PM »

My Farther had an old time music hall band there in the late 40's and early 50's. Also at the westcliff bandstand which is now a boating pool for afternoon concerts and talent shows. If it was raining the venue would be at the Westcliff hall.

My Mother.  Marget.  Had a Tzigani orchestra at Estcliff bandstand where Hungarian music was played.

The Freddy Hargreaves band also did private engagements like the Policemans ball and civic functions. some were at the winter gardens Margate and also at the Oval bandstand Cliftonville afternoon concerts were played for the summer season.   Later run by John'y  O'Rourke up untill 1960.

Both my parents are dead now and I was very small at the time so information is a bit limited.

Paul Hargreaves.
Hargreaves

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 02:37:49 PM »

The Italian gardens later known as the Eastcliff bandstand and rebuilt with cement.
In Napoleonic times it was a parade ground for the troops barracks in the background now apartments.
Hargreaves

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 02:41:35 PM »

You may have already seen these three pictures of the West Cliff Concert Hall in the online album. They're best described as before, during and after construction. The hall was opened within a day or two of the declaration of war in 1914.

Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: