RamsgateHistory.com
September 23, 2017, 09:44:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: A Rare Post Box  (Read 4259 times)
Phil
Administrator

« on: August 07, 2010, 03:42:43 PM »

This rare post box is at The Old Post Office in Monkton. The building itself is Grade II Listed and dates from the mid 1700's. Set into the front wall is a wooden post box bearing an unusual enameled sign:

"Money Letters" were first introduced in 1792 as a means of combatting the theft of coins in letters. This registration was the forerunner of today's registered letter system. More on this subject can be found HERE
Does anyone know the exact significance of this box as it quite often attracts interest from "postal enthusiasts"

Phil
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:05:21 PM »

I've contacted The Letter Box Study Group regarding the Old Monkton Post Office Letter Box, and they have responded as follows:
Prior to 1895 letter boxes at post offices were made and installed at the expense of the local sub-postmaster and until the 1880s were not of any standard type.  The postmaster would have engaged a local craftsman to manufacture a suitable box, and the Monkton box is a rare survivor of this type of box.  They are sometimes known as Carpenter's boxes.
alecgore

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »

The house was built in 1739, but the kitchen and one bedroom added later. My grandmother, Daisy Dray, was born in the house in 1900. She returned to live in the house after her marriage to George Gore in 1929. My father was born in it in 1931. This is a "tied cottage" and went with my grandfather's job as carpenter for WS Cole & Son, the builder's next door. I have many happy memories of summer holidays spent there in the 60s and early 70s.
Howardjak
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 09:29:11 AM »

They are numbered X of 3750.
I have just checked. and for example I have 0086 /3750.
But remember, the 3750 includes the total box run.
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: