RamsgateHistory.com
November 18, 2017, 09:43:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: War Time Fire Brigade  (Read 15848 times)
Phil
Administrator

« on: October 19, 2010, 05:49:56 PM »

During WWII Ramsgate Fire Service was dispersed to small stations around the town. A list of these smaller stations and their crews has been uploaded to the website. Unfortunately the date is unknown. If you know of anyone on the list or have any information about the stations please let us know.

http://ramsgatehistory.com/documents/crew_sheets.jpg
cassoulet

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 09:48:25 PM »

My mother was a civil defence ambulance driver based at the A & B Garage. Photos of her shift show them with tin hats and presumably gas mask satchels, but still in civilian clothes. So I would guess this depot was open in 1939 or 1940, at least for the civil defence ambulances crews.
One of the ambulances was a St Laurence Laundry van and the other was from Dewhurst the butchers. Reversing them along the harbour arms in the blackout left a lasting impression on my mother.
Phil
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:53:14 PM »

greentrad

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 11:37:30 PM »

Does anyone remember Edward Pillow, the mechanic named at the bottom of the list of AFS members? He was my godfather. I know that he lived with his family in Ramsgate and his daughter has told me that he also served with the NFS in London later on before moving to Shropshire.
I have a photograph somewhere of him in his AFS uniform.
Smiley
Phil
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 06:42:43 PM »

Does anyone remember Edward Pillow,

Hi greentrad,

My mother was a Leading Firewoman based at Ramsgate throughout the war years, initially as A.F.S. and then N.F.S. She remembers your Godfather but at 94 years she can't recall any detail other than he lived somewhere on the East Cliff. Does this sound right?
greentrad

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »

Hi Phil,

I'm sorry I've taken so long to respond - I've only just noticed your message.
All I know about my uncle from that time is that he married to Gladys Seal in 1934 at Ramsgate and that she had moved to Shropshire with several members of the family including my nan, Rose and my mum Ellen Pillow, to escape the bombing.
I am in touch with Ed's daughter and I have a photo or two of him. I also believe that he may have moved to London later in the war and been in the Fire Service there too. Ed died in 1972.

Pierre
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: