RamsgateHistory.com
February 20, 2018, 09:52:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register Chat  
Pages: « 1 2
  Print  
Author Topic: angling competitions from ramsgate  (Read 12121 times)
bona

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 07:40:17 PM »

Yes, I recognise him now, he the one that I named, Reg Hall.

Bob Kent, had a firm around the back of Addington Street.
Norman Dawes a barber?
seadog

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »

Athur verrion in the Sunshine
bona

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »

Thanks 'Seadog'
I found that Eddie Butcher was mayor 1953-4 and 1959-60.

Arthur Verrion.

Coxswain of Ramsgate Lifeboat, 'Michael and Lily Davis', 1952-1963.

In the 1963 Kelly's Directory it shows that he lived in 9 Kent Place.

* arthur verion_zpsbkvlzntw.jpg (56.91 KB, 275x332 - viewed 6 times.)

* arthurverrion_zpsd947c3c1.jpg (301.83 KB, 817x1024 - viewed 4 times.)
Phil
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »

ROYAL RAMSGATE FISHING CLUB
CONSTITUTED 1906
EMBRACING
RAMSGATE & DISTRICT ANGLING ASSOCIATION

Isle of Thanet Championship Challenge Trophy

I will list the names on this trophy as soon as time permits
seadog

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 04:28:46 PM »

Rumour has it the moorlogs is stone lost from a ship carrying stone towards the river stour for the building of canterbury cathedral
bona

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »

I dived on them several times and they were rectangular granite blocks over a small area.
I was told that they were left over from the building of the harbour.
And that had been dumped out there.
I could not see that, as granite had to be shipped many miles from where they were cut and dressed.
It would be a lot more plausible that they had either fallen from the ship or the ship had sunk.
There was not any wood left of the ship.
My diving pal and I dived the Fearless, a wooden barge that had sunk in a storm 1923.
All the wood had gone leaving thousands of Belgian bricks forming the shape of the hold.
So, yes, blocks of granite for the building of Canterbury Cathedral is the answer.
Morlogs are locking stones in buildings, I believe.
Derek Lawbuary

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 08:15:30 AM »

When serving in the police ( London) Cheesy we came to Ramsgate on a yearly basis to fish our hearts out...We didn't catch a lot between us, our prize a bottle of scotch to the winner...then retiring to a hostellery...or three before the long drive back to the City...(Yes we did have designated drivers in those days). Smiley Do old Boat Skippers remember us back in the 70/80's ?
seadog

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 01:58:29 PM »

many a good tea time at ramsgate or margate nick not many left sober
Thanatos

Hands that help are holier than lips that pray

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »

many a good tea time at ramsgate or margate nick not many left sober

According to PC Walstall, the police in the 1970s used to spend their shift by driving onto the hovercraft and chase each other down to the Eiffel Tower and back, sirens blasting, blue lights flashing, like a scene from "The French Connection".  The last one back in Calais bought the drinks.  The taxpayer footed 'the bill' (sic), of course.

Thanatos.
Derek Lawbuary

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 08:58:18 AM »

Smiley  In the early 70's I was part of a 'Q' car (unmarked) crew. We also took a day out in Calais. No tax-payers involved...we purchased the fuel on leaving and topped up before returning...Also we had 'booked out' of the MPD on enquiries in Ramsgate. Documentation also to hand. A negative result..!
I doubt that would happen now. Wink
bona

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 04:10:12 PM »

Several different angling competitions were held years ago The invicta angling club held a 3 day fesitval on the piers and beach each year also a 3 day boat competition top anglers were bob kent and bill barlow and his wife from sandwich later ron edwards and co turned up from herne bay and although a good angler somewhat spoiled the competition afloat as they had fast whipps which enabled them to travel further and get more time fishing and allways swept the boards.later came the southern television championships then the belgium festivals they were excellent at catching skate later still ramsgate turned into one of the top venues for angling with many boats leaving to fish at weekends angling boats have much improved in size and comfort as in early days it was a long six hours especially if raining windy and cold none of the boats would be allowed to carry passengers today the most important item was a good bilge pump boats used to come from deal broadstairs and margate to cater for people in the big competitions and hey days as did ramsgate boats go to deal 4 pounds 10 shillings for the boat 10 shillings for fuel if you went to deal a 10 hour day in a little open boat the smallest to go was doug kikaldies victory 19 foot with a 7-9 kelvin if it came on to blow or shut in thick of fog it just added to the day no gps just a compass and a watch jack hargraves visited for the southern television competitions with his little caravan as seen on out of town anyone got any memories

* 3dayboatcompetitionwinners1965_zps99fe1337.jpg (133.67 KB, 620x877 - viewed 13 times.)

* 0e259017-a007-4665-9f3e-c486d9b0bc8b_zpsca7366f5.jpg (131.43 KB, 500x375 - viewed 6 times.)
Pages: « 1 2
  Print  

Jump to: